Monday, July 13, 2009

Tin - summer school

Tin was really stressed out about summer school. She is one of the youngest kids in her class because she has a summer birthday. Last year we struggled with whether or not to hold her back, "it was only kindergarden, why not do it now?" BUT DJ was insistent on her going on to 1st grade. This year has been a growing year for Tin. She has come a long way in her reading and comprehension. However, she still wasn't up to par with the other kids in the class or the suggested guidelines the school board had set. Now with Big D struggling in school for soooo many years I unanamously voted to request her being placed in summer school. She was soooo mad and upset with the situation and I felt really bad. First day she was up and ready and waiting for the bus early. Anxious I am sure. Class lets out at 11:30a, and by 12p I was getting antsy waiting for the bus. The school is 5 minutes up the road and even if they got a late start being the first day, 30 minutes was plenty of time. I call the school: they put her on the bus; I call transportation: I wasn't at the bus stop to pick her up so she's at the bus barn. WTF we had been home and playing in the front yard for 45 minutes. The bus stop is at MY HOUSE. The bus barn argued with me that the stop was at the corner. I told her to call the bus driver and tell him to bring her home NOW please and that I was trying very hard not to be angry with her but was coming close to losing it. Two minutes later the bus barn calls to tell me that they are so sorry but the other lady was confused, the bus stop is at our house, and that we had not missed her, but that the bus driver got lost......
whewwweee, now that I could forgive a lil bit easier. So he arrived as I was on the phone with the second lady who was very apologetic. You see there are TWO of my roads but they don't connect and since he didn't practice his route he went down the wrong one.
Tin came bounding off the bus with the biggest smile on her face. She had a wonderful day, has a teacher we know and love (Mrs. Pack,) and her and the driver had been laughing at the fact that he got lost. I squeezed her so tight, told her what happened, and squeezed her again. Nothing like a good panic attack to start off the afternoon.

No comments: